Hair Loss & Transplantation with Follicular Unit Transplantation
Hair loss is a common medical condition that affects both men and women. While more than half of all men will experience some amount of hair loss by the age of 50, some women also notice significant hair loss. (Learn more about Female Hair Loss).
Hair Transplant (FUT)
There is hope for both men and women who are experiencing some form of thinning hair or hair loss. Dr. Gregory Chernoff has been performing hair transplants for over 25 years. At Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery in Indianapolis, Dr. Chernoff specializes in Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) method to help our patients suffering from hair loss achieve natural-looking hair restoration results.
What Causes Hair Loss
Receding hairlines, thinning hair, and bald spots can be the results of age, illness, and at times, genetics. It can be easy for both men and women to feel self-conscious about their hair loss. Some of the common causes for hair loss include:
- Genetics – Androgenetic alopecia is the medical term for male or female pattern baldness. It is a very common cause of hair loss and is genetic. Men tend to lose hair from the temples and crown of the head. For women hair loss is usually characterized by thinning all over the head.
- Hormones – Some women may experience excessive hair loss shortly after giving birth. Also, women in menopause also see more hair loss. This is most likely due to a decrease in estrogen levels.
- Medical Conditions – Condition including as thyroid issues, scalp infections, Lupus, are a few.
- Medicines – Side effects from certain medications used to treat cancer, blood pressure, acne, beta-blockers, cholesterol-lowering, heart issues, depression, etc.
- Traction Alopecia – Certain hairstyles can also affect thinning hair such as, braids, extensions, tight ponytails.
During your consultation with Dr. Chernoff, he will diagnose your specific hair loss and help you determine what hair restoration procedure is best for you.
What Is Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is a hair restoration technique where Dr. Chernoff harvests and transplants between 3,000-4,000 individual hairs. Using tiny groups of between one and three hairs, harvested from elsewhere on your body, Dr. Chernoff will create organic, natural-looking hair.
The procedure is successful since the harvested follicular units also contain sebaceous (oil) glands, nerves, and a small muscle so the body recognizes the transplanted hair as your own and is not rejected.
Are There Other Therapies That Can Be Used To Address Female Hair Loss
For women, Dr. Chernoff often combines Follicular Unit Transplantation with non-surgical treatment options. We offer innovative treatments including:
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for hair growth. PRP contains about three to five the number platelets found in normal blood circulating in the body. It also contains other bioactive proteins and growth factors that help decrease hair loss and stimulate hair growth.
- Low-Level Laser Light therapy is a non-surgical treatment. This technology uses an infrared light therapy to stimulate hair growth and improving the quality and volume of hair growth. This therapy can also slow the hair loss process.
- DHT Blockers is high levels of this hormone which can contribute to hair loss, as it can cause hair follicles to shrink and produce thinner hair. DHT blockers work by effectively reducing the amount of DHT in the body. By reducing the amount of DHT found in the body, hair follicles can return to their normal size and resume regular production.
Why Select Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery Center of Excellence?
Dr. Greg Chernoff is a triple board certified facial and reconstructive plastic surgeon.
If you are considering a specialized cosmetic face or body procedure, you want to find the best facial plastic surgeon. Finding the right surgeon can mean the difference between great natural-looking results that you are happy with or less than optimal results.
At Dr. Chernoff’s Cosmetic Surgery Center of Excellence, you can be reassured that Dr. Greg Chernoff has the appropriate surgical certifications, extensive knowledge, experience, surgical skill, and aesthetic vision. He is certified by The American Board of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The American Board of Facial, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Dr. Chernoff is a renowned aesthetic surgeon and educator.
You can trust your specialized cosmetic surgical face and body enhancement procedures to Dr. Chernoff. He has performed thousands of cosmetic surgeries and procedures for men and women in Indianapolis, IN and the surrounding communities and states for over 20 years.
You only have one face and body. Be sure to select the most experienced plastic surgeon for your desired enhancement procedure so you can look “Your Natural Best!”
Select the Best for Natural
If you desire a Center of Excellence for cosmetic surgical and non-surgical procedures, look no further than Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery in Indianapolis, IN. Dr. Greg Chernoff is a triple board-certified physician who is passionate about helping his patients achieve their goals. Our commitment to you is to provide outstanding patient care and optimal results.