About Scar Removal at the Center for Scar Therapy in Indianapolis
At Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery, our Center for Scar Therapy offers the latest advancements and comprehensive treatment options for all scar types and levels of severity. We offer combinations of scar removal light-based treatments, laser therapy, injectable personalized cellular therapy and other treatments to improve the appearance of unsightly or bothersome scars.
Scar treatment can help anyone who is bothered by a scar, from mild scars to the extreme, acne scarring to keloids. Some scars may require surgical intervention while other scars can be treated with less invasive procedures like laser therapy. Dr. Chernoff or one of our experienced health care professionals will recommend an individualized treatment program to help improve the appearance of your scar.
- Keloid Scars – Keloid scars are scar masses that extend beyond the original injury. Over time, a keloid scar may even affect mobility.
- Contracture Scars – Contracture scars result from burns. These scars can cause tightening of the skin which may impair mobility.
- Hypertrophic Scars – Hypertrophic scars appear as raised, red scars that are found at the injury site.
- Acne Scars – Acne scars can range from deep pitted scars to scars that are shaped like saucers, angles or waves.
- Stretch Marks – Stretch marks are often caused from weight gain/loss, pregnancy, or natural aging.
Most scar treatments are completed in the office setting. Some treatments, such as CO2 laser resurfacing or surgery, may be performed in our outpatient surgery center. Treatment times will vary but generally range from thirty to ninety minutes. Anesthesia is not required for most treatments as they are typically not painful. Aggressive laser treatments, however, may be performed with a topical numbing cream.
Scar Removal Treatment Types
- Laser Therapy – At the Center for Scar Therapy of Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery, we offer several state-of-the-art laser therapy choices for truly effective results. Our treatments can be performed at different therapeutic levels depending on the type and severity of scar. Our acne light-based treatments utilize broad based spectrum light which shrinks scars, decreases inflamed blood vessels, reduces pigment variations, and improves skin tone and quality. This laser can be combined with bipolar radio frequency to further improve the quality of the skin. We also offer Dermal Optical Thermolysis (DOT) therapy for complex cases. DOT therapy incorporates fractional CO2 laser technology to blend pigment and stimulate new collagen growth to improve scarring and overall skin quality.
- Personalized Cellular Therapy – Dr. Chernoff is the first and only surgeon in Indiana to offer LaViv, a new fibroblast therapy which uses the patient’s own cells. LaViv has been used to treat acne scars, burn scars, depressed scars, injury scars and stretch marks.
- Injectable Therapy – At the Center for Scar Therapy of Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery we utilize multiple injectable therapies to treat both raised and depressed scars.
- Surgical Scar Revision – Complex scars may require surgical revision, and this may be combined with non-surgical therapies such as injectable therapy, laser treatment or cellular therapy performed during the scar revision or healing process.
Recovering from Scar Removal Treatment
Recovery following scar treatment will depend on the specific treatment performed. Most treatments involve little to no recovery and patients are able to immediately return to work and other normal activities. Deeper scar treatments and aggressive laser therapy, however, may involve a one- to two-day recovery period. Many patients opt to schedule these treatments for a Friday so that they can return to work or school on Monday. To learn more about Chernoff Cosmetic Surgeons’ Center for Scar Therapy and scar treatment in Indianapolis or Santa Rosa, contact our office at 317-573-8899.